One of Gaddafi's sons, Seif al Islam, who was earlier reported to have been arrested, made a surprise appearance in Tripoli.
He appeared at the Rixos hotel in Tripoli early Tuesday in a convoy of armored Land Cruisers. Fox News spoke with Saif Gaddafi, who said that his father and several of his sisters are indeed alive and well, and that he is still in Tripoli.
“Yes, he is in Tripoli, he is alive and well and we are winning,” he said. “The rebels have been lured into a trap and we will crush them."
There have been some more controversial reports from the Libyan capital. Journalist and anti-war activist Susan Lindauer claims that the people of Libya are “furiously angry” at NATO, and are blaming the rebels for destroying the country’s infrastructure.
“I have friends in Tripoli,” she said. “One of them rented a bicycle and traveled the streets – he said that the streets were empty.There weren’t celebrations on the streets. He said that he saw trucks driving rebels into Green Square past empty streets – people did not come out of their houses today at all. And the celebrations that you’ve seen were contained and limited to Green Square.”
Another Muammar Gaddafi’s son Khamis may have been killed, Reuters reported, citing Al Jazeera. Another son Mohammed, one of three Gaddafi sons captured by rebels Monday, has allegedly escaped house arrest with the help of loyalist fighters.
Two bodies have been found that could be those of Khamis and Gaddafi’s intelligence chief, Abdallah Senussi, Al Jazeera reported, citing unnamed sources.
As for Mohammed Gaddafi, he was captured on Monday night in his home. At the time of the assault on the house, a man identifying himself as Mohammed Gaddafi was giving a telephone interview to Al Jazeera. He claimed on air that his house was being attacked.
One other son of Muammar Gaddafi held by the rebels – Saadi – remains in custody. It was believed that Saif al-Islam is also held by the rebels.
The International Criminal Court in The Hague was earlier reported to be holding talks with the Libyan transitional government about the surrender of Saif al-Islam, a top official in his father’s regime.
The court has arrest warrants for Gaddafi himself, his son Saif and military intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senussi. They are wanted “for crimes against humanity (murder and persecution) allegedly committed across Libya from 15 February 2011 until at least 28 February 2011, through the State apparatus and Security Forces."
The ICC prosecutor, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, confirmed Monday that Saif had been detained by “rebel special forces.”
He said there is an obligation to surrender Saif to the ICC in accordance with Security Council resolution 1970, The Hague Justice Portal reports.
The third son captured was Saadi Gaddafi, a businessman and one-time professional soccer player. He and Saif al-Islam had been detained by opposition forces prior to Mohammed’s arrest, say rebel leaders.
The whereabouts of Muammar Gaddafi and his other four sons remains unknown.